How to Register or Update Your Voter Registration
To register to vote or update your voter registration record, you (or an individual with a general power of attorney or special power of attorney authorizing that individual to register you) must complete and sign a Voter Registration Application.
- Register to vote online - You can register online either electronically or using a paper form. To register electronically, you must have a valid Alaska driver’s license or state ID. Your information will be validated through DMV and your signature will come from your DMV record. If you cannot be validated through DMV, you will have the option to register using a paper form that you will be required to print, sign and return to the Division of Elections.
- Voter Registration Application Print an application for you to complete and sign.
Send your completed and signed application by mail, fax or as an email attachment (PDF, TIFF or JPEG) to a Regional Elections office.
- Complete a form in person at any Division of Elections office, Division of Motor Vehicle office through a voter registration agency, or voter registrar.
Initially Registering from Outside the State of Alaska
If you are not already registered to vote in Alaska and you are initially registering to vote from outside the state of Alaska, either by mail, fax or email, you must provide proof of Alaska residency by submitting a copy of one of the following documents with your voter registration application:
- current Alaska driver's license;
- current Alaska hunting or fishing license;
- proof of Alaska student loan and college tuition showing Alaska as state of residency;
- military leave and earning statement indicating Alaska as place of residence;
- proof of employment in Alaska indicating date of employment; or
- other documentation that supports your claim as an Alaska resident.
Your proof of Alaska residency must be in your name, it cannot be in the name of your spouse, parent or legal guardian.
Initially Registering from Inside the State of Alaska
If you are not already registered to vote in Alaska and you are initially registering to vote by mail, fax or email, please submit a copy of one of the below types of identification with your voter registration application:
- current and valid photo identification;
- driver's license;
- state identification card; or
- birth certificate.
Notification of Your Registration or Update to Your Registration
Once your application is processed, you will receive a new voter registration card in the mail. Please allow up to four weeks to receive your card.