How to Register to Voter or Update Your Voter Registration
How do I initially register to vote or update my registration record information?
If you want to apply for an absentee ballot and need to initially register to vote or update your registration voter record, you may use Absentee Ballot Application to register to vote or update your record while simultaneously applying for a ballot.
If you want to register to vote or update your voter registration record and NOT apply for an absentee ballot, you (or an individual with a general power of attorney or special power of attorney authorizing that individual to register you) may complete and sign a Voter Registration Application.
Do I need to provide an Alaska residence address on my application?
Yes. You must provide an Alaska residence address. You may maintain your Alaska residence address as it currently appears on your voting record or the address you resided at prior to leaving Alaska. When providing a residence address, it must be within Alaska.
What do I do if I am initially registering to vote from outside the state of Alaska?
When initially registering to vote from outside the state of Alaska, you must provide proof of Alaska residency by submitting a copy of one of the following documents with your voter registration application:
- Alaska driver's license;
- Alaska hunting or fishing license;
- proof of Alaska student loan and college tuition showing Alaska as state of residency;
- military leave and earning statement indicating Alaska as place of residence;
- proof of employment in Alaska indicating date of employment; or
- other documentation that supports your claim as an Alaska resident.
Your proof of Alaska residency must be in your name, it cannot be in the name of your spouse, parent or legal guardian.
Initially registering from inside the state of Alaska
When registering vote in Alaska, submit a copy of one of the forms of identification listed below with your voter registration application:
- current and valid photo identification;
- driver's license;
- state identification card; or
- birth certificate.
Where can I obtain an application?
- Voter Registration Application Wizard - Enter your information into our interactive wizard to generate a completed application for you to print and sign. Send your completed and signed application by mail, fax or as an email attachment (PDF, TIFF or JPEG) to a Regional Elections office.
- Voter Registration Application Print an application for you to complete and sign. Send your completed and signed application by mail, fax or as an email attachment (PDF, TIFF or JPEG) to a Regional Elections office.
- Complete a form in person at any Division of Elections office, Division of Motor Vehicle office through a voter registration agency, or voter registrar.
Notification of Your Registration or Update to Your Registration
Once your application is processed, you will receive a new voter registration card in the mail. Please allow up to four weeks to receive your card.