Notice of Election of the Proposed Dissolution of the City of Skagway and Incorporation of a First-Class Skagway borough
Information for VotersElection Day is Tuesday, June 5, 2007
This Election Will Be Conducted By Mail
There will be no polling place on election day.
YOU WILL BE VOTING ON THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:
1. Shall the Municipality of Skagway be incorporated as a first-class borough? Under AS 29.06.450(c), incorporation of the Municipality of Skagway will result in the concurrent dissolution of the existing City of Skagway. (Approval of this incorporation proposition will authorize the Municipality of Skagway to levy sales and hotel room taxes at the same rate currently levied by the City of Skagway; i.e., a four percent sales tax and an eight percent hotel room tax).
2.If a majority of votes are cast in favor of the incorporation of the Municipality of Skagway, the Municipality of Skagway will be served by a mayor, six borough assembly members, and five school board members, all elected at large.
- TO VOTE:
Ballots will be mailed on Monday, May 14, 2007. The ballots will be mailed to the mailing address on your voter record. If your mailing address has changed or if you will not be at your mailing address, contact the Region I Elections Office at (907) 465-3021.
The ballots WILL NOT FORWARD. If your mail will be forwarded during this time, contact the Region I Elections Office at (907) 465-3021.
For your ballot to be counted, you must:
1. Sign the return ballot envelope.
2. Provide at least one identifier on the return ballot envelope.
3. Have your signature witnessed. Ask one person over the age of 18 or the postmaster or election official to be your witness.
4. Ballots must be voted and postmarked on or before Election Day, June 5, 2007.
An election official will have ballots
and will be available for absentee in-person voting and assistance
at the City Clerk's Office in Skagway from 9:00am - 5:00pm beginning Monday May 21st through Tuesday, June 5, 2007. You may contact Marjorie Harris at the City Clerk's Office at
(907) 983-2297 for more information. Absentee voting and other assistance will also be available at the Juneau, Kenai, Anchorage, Mat-Su, Fairbanks and Nome
Questions about voting by-mail? Call the Region I Elections Office at (907) 465-3021
This election is being conducted by the State of Alaska, Division of
Region I Elections Office, 9109 Mendenhall Mall Rd, Ste 3, Juneau, Alaska 99811-0018