Voter Registration and General Information

Are you a resident of Alaska and attending college outside the State of Alaska?

As an Alaska resident attending college out of state, you may register to vote in Alaska. Register using your Alaska residence address and you can vote at either your designated polling place or by absentee ballot. You may only be registered and vote in one state.

To register to vote in Alaska, you must be:

  • a United States Citizen;

  • a Alaska Resident; and

  • 18 years old or will be 18 years old within 90 days of completing the application.

If you register to vote from outside the State of Alaska, you must provide proof of Alaska residency, such as a current copy of your Alaska driver's license, Alaska hunting or fishing license, student loan or college tuition documents showing Alaska as your state of residence. If you do not provide proof of Alaska residency, your application will not be processed.

If you registered to vote prior to leaving Alaska, you may use your last residence address you maintained in Alaska as your residence address for voting purposes. Don't forget to complete a new voter registration form each time you change your residence and/or mailing address, name, political affiliation, or any other information.

Are you in Alaska going to college but a resident of another state?

If you are attending college in Alaska, but are a resident of another state and wish to remain a resident of that state, contact the election official in your home state for information about voter qualifications and the procedures for voting absentee in your home state. You may visit the National Association of Secretaries of State or the Election Assistance Commission Voter Information Center for information.